Every designer needs a reliable mouse. It is an essential tool on every computer desk. Photoshop users know how frustrating it can be to use a sub-standard mouse, whether it’s the battery dying mid-project, the mouse cursor jerking and lagging on screen, or if it’s wired, the cord getting cut up at the ends. A good mouse should be one you never notice cause it gets the job done comfortably without any fuss.
The best mouse for photoshop and photo-editing in my opinion is the Logitech MX Master 3S Advanced Wireless Mouse. It’s good value and perfectly balanced and responsive. If you need a vertical mouse, wired mouse, or different price options, I’ve compiled a list with the best in each category. Read on for this and more comparisons.
Note: We try to update product information to be as accurate as possible but specs may differ with new product releases. Confirm on the product pages on their respective retail sites and manufacturers.
|Mouse Name||Max DPI||Customizable Buttons||Power Source||Compatibility||Connectivity||Check Price|
|Logitech MX Master 3S||8000||7||Rechargeable Battery||Windows, macOS, Linux||Wireless, Bluetooth||Amazon|
|Razer Basilisk V3||30,000||11||Rechargeable Battery||Windows||Wireless, wired||Amazon|
|Logitech MX Ergo||2048||8||Rechargeable Battery||Windows, macOS, Linux||Bluetooth or USB||Amazon|
|Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum||12000||11||Rechargeable Battery||Windows, macOS||Wireless||Amazon|
|Logitech G700S||8200||13||Rechargeable Battery via Micro usb||Windows, macOS, Linux||Wireless, Wired, USB||Amazon|
|Contour Unimouse Wireless||2800||7||Rechargeable Battery||Windows, macOS, Linux||Wireless||Amazon|
|Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB||18000||17||Rechargeable Battery||Windows, macOS, Linux||Wired||Amazon|
|Logitech MX Vertical Wireless Mouse||4000||4||Rechargeable Battery||Windows, macOS, iPad OS||Wired, Bluetooth||Amazon|
|Razer Naga Trinity||16000||2, 7, 12||Wired||Windows, Linux||Wired||Amazon|
|Logitech MX Anywhere 3||4000||6||Rechargeable Battery||Windows, macOS, linux||Wireless, Bluetooth||Amazon|
|Logitech G705||8000||3||Rechargeable Battery||Windows, macOS, Linux||Wireless, Bluetooth||Amazon|
1. Logitech MX Master 3S
The Logitech MX Master 3S is a beautifully balanced mouse that’s built for productivity especially for graphic designers and creative professionals. The mouse features an 8000 DPI sensor with customizable sensitivity, making it possible to work on any surface – even glass. The upgraded sensor is also 90% faster, 87% more precise, and ultra quiet, making it an excellent choice for those who need a mouse that delivers fast and precise movements.
One of the standout features of the Logitech MX Master 3 is the Flow cross-computer control. This allows you to use the mouse to seamlessly control multiple computers at the same time. You can even copy and paste files and text between the computers, which is a huge time-saver.
The ergonomic design of the mouse is also impressive. It features a silhouette crafted for a more natural wrist posture and optimally placed thumb controls, making it comfortable to use for long periods. The improved Logi Options+ software also allows you to customize buttons and optimize your workflow.
The Logitech MX Master 3S is an excellent choice for photoshop and illustrator users who need a mouse that delivers fast, precise and quiet movements. The Flow cross-computer control, ergonomic design and multi-device compatibility make it an ideal choice for those who want to maximize their workflow. However, it’s important to keep in mind that the mouse is not left-hand friendly, and may not be suitable for smaller hands.
- Any-surface tracking with an upgraded 8000 DPI sensor
- Quiet clicks
- Fast, precise and ultra quiet scrolling with MagSpeed
- Ergonomic design
- Flow cross-computer control
- Multi-device and multi-OS compatibility
- Long battery life
- Price on the higher end
- Not left-hand friendly
- Size not for smaller hands
- Scroll wheel may be too smooth for some
2. The Razer Basilisk V3
The Razer Basilisk V3 is a great mouse with a comfortable ergonomic form and 10+1 programmable buttons that offer endless customization options. This is great for your photoshop shortcuts. The 13-zone chroma lighting adds to the immersion of gaming, with full underglow that can be customized with over 16.8 million colors and various lighting effects.
The Razer Optical Mouse Switches Gen-3 have a 90 million click lifecycle, fast 0.2ms actuation and no debounce delay, making for a reliable and fast gaming experience. The Razer HyperSpeed Wireless technology provides ultra-responsive gaming with 25% faster speeds than other wireless options. The scroll wheel has good feedback and the button that unlocks it for infinite scrolling is great for long web pages and spreadsheets.
The mouse is a good size and has a comfortable grip and reach to buttons. The focus Pro 30K optical sensor is precise and smooth, and the wireless connection feels like a cabled mouse with no lag. The side scrolling tilt works well in certain applications but some features like the sniper mode and RGB lighting do not work with a Mac. The battery life with RGB on is not the best but the charging speed is fast, taking only 1 hour to fully charge.
- Customizable 13-zone chroma lighting with full underglow
- Infinite scroll function
- Comfortable shape and grippy texture
- High resolution sensor for precision and smooth performance
- Fast charging time
- No lag with wireless (2.4GHz, BLE) or wired connectivity
- Configuring the mouse is difficult on Mac and some features may not work
- Battery life with RGB on is not the best
- Requires Windows to fully configure the mouse
3. Logitech MX Ergo
The Logitech MX Ergo is a well-designed trackball mouse with a unique adjustable hinge that allows for customization of the trackball angle from 0 to 20 degrees for a more comfortable hand position and reduced muscle strain.
It has cross-computer control, allowing you to navigate seamlessly on 2 computers and copy-paste text, photoshop images, and files between them with Logitech Flow. It offers dual connectivity, allowing you to use it with up to 3 Windows, Mac or Linux computers via Bluetooth or the included Unifying receiver.
The rechargeable battery provides up to 70 days of power on a single charge. The precision scroll-wheel and tilt function, as well as the customizable buttons, allow for precise control and convenience. However, the forward/back buttons are placed in an awkward position, and there is no storage space for the USB dongle.
The trackball can also get dirty more quickly than a standard mouse, but cleaning it is straightforward. Overall, the Logitech MX Ergo is a highly functional and ergonomic trackball mouse for those who prefer the feel of a trackball over a traditional mouse.
- Cross-computer control and seamless navigation between 2 computers
- Rechargeable battery with 70 days of power on a single charge
- Precision scroll wheel with tilt and middle click for precise scrolling and horizontal scrolling
- Smoothest-operating Logitech trackball yet
- Forward/back buttons are poorly placed
- No storage space for USB dongle
- Uses a micro USB port for charging
- Trackball dirties up faster than a standard mouse and requires frequent cleaning
4. Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
For Photoshop users who like to dabble in some competitive gaming too, the Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum. With its ultra-fast lag-free wired or wireless connection, it is one of the most trusted gaming mouses in the market. The features that make it great for gaming make it just as impressive for accurate designing.
The PMW3366 optical gaming sensor delivers exceptional tracking accuracy. This mouse is also rechargeable and has a long battery life for a gaming mouse of up to 30 hours on a single charge.
The adjustable 200-12,000 DPI range allows for consistent responsiveness and control at any speed. The mouse’s physical button layout is customizable and has an ambidextrous design, making it comfortable for both left- and right-handed users. The mouse’s RGB lighting can be adjusted to match your style, and has up to 16.8 million color options.
The pivot button design ensures fast, accurate, and reliable click performance. The mouse works with Windows 10 or later, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, and Windows 7. It connects wirelessly through a 2.4 GHz radio frequency, and has 11 customizable buttons.
In summary, the Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum is an excellent gaming mouse for those looking for a lightweight, wireless mouse with long battery life and customizable RGB lighting. Although the scroll wheel can make a rattling noise in hyperscroll mode, this does not significantly impact the performance of the mouse.
- Long battery life
- RGB lighting
- Scroll wheel makes a rattling noise in hyperscroll mode
5. Logitech G700S
The Logitech G700S is another high-performance wireless gaming mouse that offers excellent accuracy and precision, making it an ideal choice for graphic designers and photographers who use Adobe Photoshop. With its full-speed USB performance, the mouse executes commands up to eight times faster than a standard USB mouse, and its 13 programmable buttons allow you to perform simple commands or intricate macros with a single click.
One of the standout features of the G700S is its onboard memory, which allows you to store up to five ready-to-play profiles. This means you can easily switch between different settings, depending on your needs, without having to manually adjust the mouse each time. Additionally, the quick-connect USB recharging/data cable makes it easy to keep your mouse charged and ready to go, even during long work sessions.
The mouse’s laser accuracy is perfect for Windows PCs, providing gaming-grade precision, and its 8200 DPI sensitivity ensures that even the slightest movements are registered accurately. The battery cover is easy to remove and place back on, and the battery is easily accessible. You also have the option to unlock the scrolling wheel and allow for free-spinning, which is great for scrolling through long documents like photoshop pdfs or images quickly.
In terms of ergonomics, the buttons are well designed, and the middle-mouse button is easy to press and hold without slipping. The top-left buttons for sensitivity settings are also easily accessible, but not in the way. The ergonomic design of the mouse is fantastic, fitting perfectly in the palm of your hand and allowing your fingers to rest comfortably in their natural positions.
However, one potential issue with the G700S is that the charging port may wear over time. Additionally, the mouse is quite expensive, which may not be ideal for everyone.
- Easy Quick Battery Replacement
- Decent Battery Life
- Best Ergonomics
- Scroll Unlock / Free Scroll
- Charging Port Wear over time
6. Contour Unimouse Wireless
Contour Unimouse Wireless is an adjustable mouse that comes in left-hand and right-hand buying choices. I found it to be perfect for my Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator work. This mouse has a slight learning curve, mainly due to its additional button in the middle, but once you get the hang of it, it offers a seamless experience.
Out of the box, the main unit angle is already adjusted, and the thumb rest can be adjusted for your preferred angle as well. I also appreciate that it came fully charged, allowing me to use it immediately without any setup.
One of the most notable features of this mouse is that it offers a vertical orientation option, allowing you to use the mouse fully vertically without having to switch to a dedicated vertical mouse. The thumb rest and pinky rest provide a comfortable grip, while the buttons offer assistance to your wrist, making your workflow much more efficient.
The middle click button is particularly useful for closing out windows without much wrist movement, and the forward and back buttons make for easy internet browsing. The mouse connects via 2.4GHz wireless and is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux systems. With 7 customizable buttons and a sensitivity of 2800 DPI, this mouse offers a perfect balance between performance and customization.
Make sure you buy the correct mouse for your use (left hand or right hand).
- Buying options for either left-hand or right hand uses
- Offers a vertical orientation option
- Comes fully charged out of the box
- Comfortable grip with thumb and pinky rests
- Offers wrist support through the buttons
- Slightly steep learning curve with additional button in the middle
- Limited customization compared to other mice
7. Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB
The Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB is a high-performance gaming mouse designed for MMOs and MOBAs but works great for graphic designing. This mouse boasts 17 fully programmable buttons and a patented key slider control system that allows you to reposition the 12 side buttons to fit your grip comfortably. There’s no excuse for not using shortcuts now.
One of the standout features of this mouse is its native 18,000 DPI optical sensor, equipped with a custom PixArt PMW3391 sensor for highly accurate and customizable tracking. This mouse is also built to last, with 50 million click-rated Omron switches, a sturdy scroll wheel, and a braided cable that ensures it stands up to the wear-and-tear of extended gaming.
In terms of comfort, the Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB has a contoured shape that fits the contours of your palm, regardless of hand size or grip style. The right-side finger rest provides added support, and the mouse feels surprisingly light despite its weight. The scroll wheel and LMB / RMB buttons are responsive and the side pad is well-designed, although it may take some getting used to for those who have never used a mouse with one. The RGB design is also a nice touch, lighting up the mouse crevices in a dim, eye-catching way.
- Comfortable to handle with a contoured shape that fits your palm
- 17 fully programmable buttons and a patented key slider control system for customizable controls
- Native 18,000 DPI optical sensor for highly accurate and customizable tracking
- Ultra-durable construction with 50 million click-rated Omron switches
- RGB design is eye-catching and adds a nice touch to the mouse
- The software (iCue) is slightly confusing and may take some time to set up
- The USB cable is stiff with limited movement
- Accidental pressing of side buttons may occur
8. Logitech MX Vertical Wireless Mouse
The Logitech MX Vertical Wireless Mouse is a unique take on the traditional mouse design, featuring a 57-degree angle that reduces muscular strain by 10 percent compared to a traditional mouse. With a high-precision 4000 DPI sensor, this mouse requires 4x less hand movement, making it a great choice for extended use.
This mouse offers multiple connectivity options, including a wireless USB unifying receiver, Bluetooth, and a USB-C charging cable. The rechargeable battery stays powered for 4 months on a full charge, or you can get 3 hours of use from a 1-minute quick charge.
- Very comfortable to use
- Cross-computer control allows for seamless navigation on up to three computers
- Multiple connectivity options, including Bluetooth and USB-C charging cable
- Rechargeable battery with quick charging capabilities
- The rubber grip may show signs of wear and tear over time, affecting the aesthetics of the mouse
- Some users may need to adjust to the unique design, especially if they are used to a traditional mouse.
9. Razer Naga Trinity
The Razer Naga Trinity is a wired gaming mouse that offers a high level of customization and precision for gamers. With its high-precision 16,000 DPI optical sensor and up to 19 programmable buttons, this mouse is designed to meet the needs of even the most demanding gamers.
It features three interchangeable side plates, each with a different button configuration, allowing you to switch between 2, 7, and 12 buttons depending on your preferences. The mouse also supports 16.8 million color combinations through its customizable Chroma RGB color profiles.
It also has a ridged, rubberized scroll wheel that provides maximum accuracy, even in high-stakes gaming situations. The durable mechanical switches are built to withstand up to 50 million clicks and are backed by a 2-year warranty.
- High precision 16,000 DPI optical sensor
- maximum customization with interchangeable side plates and programmable buttons
- Customizable RGB lighting profiles
- Durable mechanical switches
- Only supports wired connectivity, which may limit mobility for some users
- May have a steep learning curve for those unfamiliar with gaming mice and their extensive customization options.
10. Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Logitech’s MX Anywhere 3 is a wireless and bluetooth mouse that is designed for graphic designers and photographers who need to work on-the-go. With its low-profile design, ultra-soft silicone side grips, and modern design, this mouse provides a comfortable and portable option for creative professionals.
It is a high-quality and versatile mouse that offers comfortable and portable use for graphic designers and photographers. Its MAGSPEED scrolling, multi-device and multi-OS compatibility, and USB-C quick charging capabilities make it an excellent option for those who need to work on-the-go.
- Quiet free scrolling mode.
- Any surface use.
- Quick charge and long battery life.
- The mouse includes predefined profiles.
- Relatively low DPI of 4000.
11. Logitech G705
The Logitech G705 is a great choice for graphic designers and photoshop enthusiasts who prefer wireless connectivity and comfort. With its ergonomic design and reduced hand fatigue features, the G705 makes for a comfortable experience even during long sessions. The G705 is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux, and comes with three customizable buttons and a sensitivity of 8000 DPI.
One of the standout features of the G705 is its versatile design, which can be used on any surface without a mouse pad. The mouse’s smooth gradient LED lights are also an added bonus, giving it a modern and stylish look. Another noteworthy aspect of the G705 is its quick-charging battery, which lasts for about a week of use and only takes a few minutes to charge.
In terms of performance, the G705 offers smooth and accurate movement, with a comfortable clicking experience. The mouse’s ergonomic design is comfortable to use, and even after long periods of use, the hand won’t get sore. The G705 comes with both wireless and Bluetooth connectivity options, as well as a dongle storage, making it convenient to use and travel with.
It is a great option for graphic designers and photoshop enthusiasts, offering a comfortable, stylish, and versatile mouse for a great user experience.
- Comfortable and ergonomic design
- Versatile and can be used on any surface
- Quick-charging battery
- Smooth and accurate movement
- Only three customizable buttons
- Slightly less battery life when using Bluetooth connectivity
What to look for when buying a mouse
- Wired or wireless. This debate is still raging for gamers. But for a graphic designer, illustrator, or photo-editor this is simply a matter of preference. A wired mouse has the additional problem of cord entanglement and possible damage to the wire. Wireless mouse on the other hand need charging or battery replacement.
- Adjustable DPI– The DPI stands for Dots Per Inch and is the standard for measuring the mouse sensitivity. The higher the dpi the higher the sensitivity. An adjustable dpi allows you to choose the best sensitivity for your needs.
- Customization– Unlike old times when you only had 2 buttons on a mouse, left and right-click, modern mouses come with numerous customizable buttons, which can be helpful to customize for quick photoshop shortcuts. The positioning of the buttons is also important for comfort.
- Comfort– Many photoshop users will get cramps, stiffness after long usage, especially if the mouse is not ergonomically designed. A good mouse should be comfortable to hold and use without strain. For optimal comfort, there are good vertical mouses in the market.
- Price- There are mouses available starting from under $10 up to $200. It all depends on your pocket and the specs you need.
My favorite is the Logitech MX Master 3. It packs great features and keeps a relatively low-price while competing with high-end mouses. It’s also beautiful, simple and ergonomic and the left/right scroll is a great plus for photoshop users when zoomed in on documents. If you’re looking for the most comfortable mouse at a great price, the MX vertical is your best choice.
Are you trying to learn graphic design on a budget? Put away your credit card and check out these 10 free graphic design course online.